Director of Rugby / General Manager
Company: Utah Warriors (dba of Rugby Utah Ventures, LLC)
Description: Director of Rugby / General Manager
Reporting to: CEO
Department: High Performance
Employment Type: Contractor/Full-Time
The Utah Warriors are a founding member of Major League Rugby (MLR) which launched in 2018 with just seven teams. The MLR has grown to 14 member teams and will boast an expanded 12-team 2020 competition and 14-team competition in 2021. With Utah’s strong tradition in the American rugby landscape, the Warriors are looking for a Dir. of Rugby or General Manager to lead the team overall High-Performance Department into the 2020 season and beyond. The Dir. of Rugby / GM will also coordinate with the CEO on the Warriors’ overall High-Performance Development ecosystem, which includes Academy coordination, JR Warriors, assistant coaches’ and RUV amateur club coaches mentorship including certification training, strength, and conditioning, video analysis, etc.
Direction and oversight of the Utah Warriors High-Performance Department:
● Build and maintain the “Warriors Way” team culture and identity
● Lead and coordinate all Utah Warriors player tracking, recruitment, contracting and development efforts at the local, regional, domestic and international levels
● Build and manage the Utah Warriors player database
● Coordinate with the coaching staff a robust training schedule with pre-season, in-season and post-season objectives using internationally recognized KPIs for top-level professional rugby performance.
● Lead the Head Coach, assistant coaches on this plan and delegate responsibilities, including strength and conditioning, video/performance analysis and skills development
● Create a plan to measure, monitor and manage individual player skills development in partnership with the Head Coach, assistant coaches and other specialty coaches–i.e., scrummaging, lineout, passing, kicking, tackling/contact, etc.
● Lead annual, monthly, weekly and daily planning meetings with Head Coach and assistant coaches
● Work with the coaching staff to develop progressive attacking and defensive identities and KPIs for the team that complement players’ skillsets and abilities.
● Oversee, track and manage all team KPI and core analytical tracking data
● Oversee individual player welfare plan in collaboration with coaching staff training and medical staffs ensuring the health, well-being and character development of each player, including HIA and major injury protocols, etc.
● Coordinate and lead with the coaching staff regarding team player selection and contracting in collaboration with the Utah Warriors CEO
● Coordinate with the coaching staff the match-day team selection in collaboration with assistant coaches
● Coordinate with Team Manager travel and match-day needs
● Coordinate with the Utah Warriors Business Operations staff including marketing, ticket sales and sponsorships on special events, player availabilities and other RUV commercial activities
● Collaborate regularly with the Utah Warriors CEO on team needs, progress, etc.
Coordinate and lead other Utah Warriors’ Rugby Community Activities:
● The leadership of the Utah Warriors Academy in coordination with the Academy Coach to develop and implement a unified team and player development plan ensuring a seamless player pathway from age-grade to professional.
● Mentorship of Rugby Utah Men’s Premier Division (MPD), Utah Youth Rugby and Collegiate Division coaches and players during and outside of their competitive seasons via certification or other coaching development courses.
● Support other community-driven Utah Warriors rugby activities including the JR Warriors, Academy, Warriors Selects, Touch Rugby League (TRL), Warriors XV events, etc.
● 2+ years experience as Director of Rugby or Rugby Operations leader
● World Rugby & USA Rugby coach certifications & registrations
● 5+ years of asst or head coach experience at professional or higher level
● Prior experience building and developing rugby academy programs
● Prior experience developing and training rugby coaches
● Strong communication, leadership and organizational skills
● Experience with video and performance analysis tools and strategies
● Strong ability to be resourceful in a chaotic and ever-changing work environment
● Positive work history with peers, managers, players, media and fans
● Ability to lead and motivate players and coaches
● World Rugby Certified Fifteens Level 3 or higher coach
● World Rugby Certified Educator/Trainer
● World Rugby Certified Sevens Level 1 or 2 coach
● Previous experience with international level coaching staff environments
● Previous coaching exposure within the American rugby community
● Player recruitment, selection and management experience including Dir. of Rugby Operations experience
The qualified candidate will begin work in the Fall of 2019 identifying and training players in Utah and throughout America and then carry over this work starting in December in lead up to the season launch of February, 2020.
All interested candidates can please submit CV, cover letter and references to [email protected] For more information on the Utah Warriors and the MLR please go to www.WarriorsRugby.com.
Download PDF of job description: Director of Rugby / GM Job Description – June 2019
Bonus point over Atlanta keeps Utah in playoff spot
HERRIMAN — It’s late in the MLR season, and with...
Wilson talks serving as captain ahead of Atlanta game
HERRIMAN, Utah — As Bailey Wilson approaches his 50th cap...
Utah takes down Houston in battle for playoff spot
HERRIMAN, Utah — Winning is the most important thing in...
Warriors prepare for critical game against Houston
HERRIMAN, Utah — The Utah Warriors back line, highlighted by...
W Nation: Ep 90 | Playoff Positioning
On this week's episode of W Nation, Jarom Jordan and...