Company: Utah Warriors (dba of Rugby Utah Ventures, LLC)
Description: Head Coach
Reporting to: Dir. of Rugby / GM
Department: High Performance
Employment Type: Contractor/Full-Time
The Utah Warriors are a founding member of Major League Rugby (MLR) which launched in 2018 with just seven teams. The MLR has grown to 14 member teams and will boast an expanded 12-team 2020 competition and
14-team competition in 2021. With Utah’s strong tradition in the American rugby landscape, the Warriors are looking for a Head Coach to lead the team into the 2020 season and beyond. The Head Coach will also coordinate with the Dir. of Rugby/General Manager on the Warriors’ overall High-Performance Development ecosystem, which includes Academy coordination, assistant coaches’ and RUV amateur club coaches mentorship including certification training, strength, and conditioning, video analysis, etc.
Direction and oversight of the Utah Warriors Professional Team:
● Build a successful coaching plan for the team with pre-season, in-season and post-season objectives using internationally recognized KPIs for top-level professional rugby performance.
● Interact with assistant coaches on this plan and delegate responsibilities, including strength and conditioning, video/performance analysis and skills development
● Oversee individual player skills development in partnership with assistant coaches and other specialty coaches–i.e., scrummaging, lineout, passing, kicking, tackling/contact, etc.
● Plan monthly, weekly and daily training sessions and coordinate with assistant coaches
● Develop progressive attacking and defensive patterns for the team that complement players’ skillsets and abilities.
● Oversee individual player welfare plan in collaboration with assistant coaches, training and medical staffs ensuring the health, well-being and character development of each player, including HIA and major injury protocols, etc.
● Oversee team player selection and contracting in collaboration with Utah Warriors Dir. of Rugby/GM and in partnership with assistant coaches
● Oversee the match-day team selection in collaboration with assistant coaches
● Develop and oversee, in collaboration with assistant coaches, the match-day program for the team’s top performance
● Coordinate with Team Manager travel and match-day needs
● Coordinate with Utah Warriors Business Operations staff including marketing, ticket sales, and sponsorships on special events, player availabilities and other Warriors commercial activities
● Collaborate regularly with Warriors executive leadership and Dir. of Rugby/GM on team needs, progress, etc.
Support and mentorship of the Utah Warriors Rugby Community Activities:
● Collaboration with the Utah Warriors Academy Coach to develop and implement a unified team and player development plan ensuring a seamless player pathway from age-grade to professional.
● Mentorship of Rugby Utah Men’s Premier Division (MPD) coaches and players during and outside of their competitive seasons via certification or other coaching development courses.
● Support other community-driven Utah Warriors rugby activities including the JR Warriors, Academy, Warriors Selects, Touch Rugby League (TRL), Warriors XV events, etc.
● World Rugby & USA Rugby coach certifications & registrations
● 5+ years of asst or head coach experience at a professional or equivalent level
● Prior experience building and developing rugby academy programs
● Prior experience developing and training rugby coaches
● Strong communication, leadership and organizational skills
● Experience with video and performance analysis tools and strategies
● Strong ability to be resourceful in a chaotic and ever-changing work environment
● Positive work history with peers, managers, players, media and fans
● Ability to lead and motivate players and coaches
● World Rugby Certified Fifteens Level 3 or higher coach
● World Rugby Certified Educator/Trainer
● World Rugby Certified Sevens Level 1 or 2 coach
● Previous experience with international level coaching staff environments
● Previous coaching exposure within the American rugby community
● Player recruitment, selection and management experience including Dir. of Rugby Operations experience
The qualified candidate will begin work in the Fall of 2019 identifying and training players in Utah and throughout America and then carry over this work starting in December in lead up to the season launch of February, 2020.
All interested candidates can please submit CV, cover letter and references to [email protected] For more information on the Utah Warriors and the MLR please go to www.WarriorsRugby.com.
Download PDF of job description: Utah Warriors Head Coach Job Description June 2019
Warriors Announce Broadcast Partnership with KSL Sports
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah - KSL Sports and the Utah...
Limited Seating At Warriors Home Games–Join “CAN’T WAIT LIST”
We can’t wait to welcome you back Warriors Nation! Due...
Preseason match against Rugby ATL Tickets
Herriman, Utah — The Utah Warriors will host Rugby ATL...
MLR releases updated Warriors schedule
Salt Lake City — The MLR re-released today the 2021...
Interim head coach Shawn Pittman brings experience to the Warriors
Herriman, Utah — With Chris Latham announcing he is stepping...