Touch Rugby Rules
- Game duration: Two 20-minute halves with a 1-minute half time.
- Play starts and restarts at the center with a “tap”. This is performed by moving the ball on the ground with the foot, free from the hands, and then picking it up. Penalties are performed by the same procedure. On both a re-start and penalty the defending team must retreat at least 10 meters.
- Six players are allowed on the field at any one time, with any amount of reserves off the field. Reserves can be continuously substituted at any time from one side of the field. The substituting players must make contact with each other behind the sideline.
- A try is scored by grounding the ball on, or behind, the try-line. One point is awarded in men’s, women’s and mixed leagues.
- A legal touch is on any part of the body, clothing and ball. A player must claim a touch by raising a hand and shouting, “Touch”. The referee is the sole judge of the touch and has the discretion to overrule a claim. (Play to the whistle). An attacking player may affect the touch by deliberately touching the opposition.
- When touched, the player in possession must place the ball on the ground at the exact point of the touch. Play is re-started by stepping over the ball. It can be controlled with a hand or foot. This is known as a ROLLBALL. The ball may not roll more than a meter. A player may not perform a rollball unless touched.
- The player picking up the ball (the dummy-half or acting half) may run, but if touched a changeover occurs. The dummy-half may not score and a changeover (rollball) will be awarded if this occurs.
- After 6 touches possession changes. The attacking team begins play on the “first down”, starting with a “rollball”.
- All defending players must retire more than 5 meters in line with the mark of touch. The defending team cannot move forward until play restarts, nor interfere with play whilst retreating. A restart occurs the moment the ball is tapped or the dummy-half touches the ball at the roll ball. If there is no dummy-half in position (within 1 meter of the mark) defenders may advance from an on-side position.
- If opposing team is rolling or restarting at the 5 meter mark the defending is not obligated to come off of the try line unless the opposing team plays the ball away from the 5 meter line. If that occurs the ref will indicate by saying “come off the line” to which the defending team will have to come all the way up to the 5 meter in defense.
- If the attacking player, when making a quick start, is touched by an off-side defender, play is allowed to continue. If an attacking side gains no advantage, a penalty tap for the first down will be given.
- When a rollball is taken within 5 meters of the scoreline the defending players must retreat with both feet to behind their scoreline before they can make the touch. If a player is touched in the touchdown zone before grounding the ball the touch counts and play is restarted on the 5-metre line. At all times no team may delay the game by deliberately delaying a roll ball.
- If the ball is dropped or if a player crosses the sideline before being touched, change of possession will occur. This is by means of a roll ball.
- A penalty is awarded for the following infringements;
- a forward pass
- offside play
- performing a roll ball over the mark
- claiming a Touch when none was made
- Touch and pass
- interfering with the roll ball (running around the ruck) and passing the ball once touched.
- When a penalty is awarded, the referee will advance 10 meters from where the infringement occurred. The referee must give the exact mark from where the Tap Ball must be taken. The defending team must retire 10 meters from the mark or behind the try-line.
- If the defending team unsuccessfully intercepts the ball or it is intentionally knocked down, the attacking team starts from a “first down” roll ball.
- The principle of advantage will be applied.
- No obstruction, excessive contact, verbal abuse or foul play will be tolerated – the referee is sole judge. A penalty will be awarded in such cases and a player can receive 2 minutes in the SIN BIN. Serious or continual foul play of any nature will result in the player being sent off without a replacement.
- A central timer will be used to start and finish games.
- Recommend plastic molded cleats with a minimum of 10 studs, or running shoes, are allowed. No exceptions will be made.
- After each game the captain will be required to confirm the score by signing the referee’s Score sheet.
- Once the score sheet has been signed, the result is deemed final.
- A match can commence with 4 players on each side. The team that shows up short of 6 players will forfeit 2 points to the full sided team to start the match with.
- For corporate co-ed – Must have at least one female participant on the field at all times.
- For corporate co-ed – If a female participant scores a try, it is worth 2 points.
- In order for you to have eligible players participating in the elimination rounds of play each player participating should’ve been on a roster during pool play for at least one game.
- A team will be disqualified and forfeit a game if they field a player who is
- 1. NOT on the roster
- 2. NOT signed waiver
- 3. NOT originally on the team
- Tournament format, all teams will play a game of round robin where which the top 4 teams will advanced to elimination stages. The top 4 teams will be determine by a win, draw, loss and forfeit points system. In the event there is a draw in points to advance to the elimination round we will default to points differential in total points scored.
- WIN = 3 points
- DRAW = 2 points
- LOSS = 1 point
- FORFEIT = 0 points
Get Utah Warriors Season Tickets for just $72
As a thank you to our fans that supported the...
Warriors Saga with Sama Malolo
Growing up in Australia, Sama Malolo was a standout Super...
Get Warriors 4 For $40 Ticket Package
GET TICKETS TO THE FINAL FOUR WARRIOR HOME GAMES FOR...
W Nation Ep. 17 Dramatic Win Vs DC, Big Game In LA
Jarom Jordan and Banksy recap the Utah Warrior’s dramatic nail...
Tucci Time – Season 2, Episode 2
Tell me you're a prop without telling me you're a...